History Of Richmond, Illinois
Settled by pioneers over 150 years ago, Richmond received it's name when Isaac Reed climbed to the top of the newly erected mill (pictured below) in 1844. He won the climbing contest and with it the right to name the settlement. Reed named it after his childhood hometown of Richmond, Vermont.
The original RICHMOND MILL built in 1844 and destroyed by fire in 1925.
That old mill was rebuilt and still stands at the corner of Mill and Main streets. Today it houses the restaurant Doyle's Pub & Eatery. Mister Reed is buried in the Richmond Cemetery located on the west side of town on Broadway street.
Remnants of that era of horse-drawn carriages still remain in the form of hitching rings embedded in the sidewalks on Main and Broadway streets. Other reminders of that time past include many original buildings housing Richmond's downtown shops, in addition to many restored Victorian homes (pictured below) and several Sears Catalog homes located throughout the town. Fortunately, one of the 100 year old wooden railroad bridges near downtown still stands.
This home, built over 100 years ago by G.W. Eldridge, a grain merchant, still stands.
The 7th generation of Eldridges still resides here.
The original John McConnell residence on West Broadway.
His father, W.A. McConnell, was one of the early founders of the town of Richmond.
You can visit our village hall to see the current display of historical items which is maintained by Irene Borre, a long time Richmond resident. There are also several displays now available at Memorial Hall.